Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Time zone question

Posted 10-08-2019 17:49
    Hi, I have a rather basic question: Is there a best practice around setting the time zone for a registration site? Someone in our organization wants the zone to be set to our local time zone (Central) for consistency, so registrants always know event deadlines adhere to central time--as opposed to the event location's time zone. I understand all the elements that the time zone controls, so I don't need a recap of those. I'm looking for any significant reason (error, confusion) that would result in keeping the site in our local time or, conversely, any significant benefit for maintaining it in the venue time zone. The only item I can think of is adding the event to the calendar, which would be inaccurate for the actual time of the event. Any other pros/cons?
    #Classic-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Dymphna Timmins
    YMCA of the USA

• 2.  RE: Time zone question

Posted 10-08-2019 22:15
    The only way I found is you can set to your nearest country at Event Information 

or at Admin  > Account > General Overview My Profile

Hope Cvents' will quickly enhance the time zone to local time, even when you submit a case the time zone in the case is not set to local country, it is all ET.  There is no right or wrong but is a case which help us store our information and content, sometimes we need to refer back the info and check when so we submitted, then here comes the problem, confuse date and time.  

Darren Gan
    Assistant Manager Web
    Holiday Tours & Travel

• 3.  RE: Time zone question

Community MVP
    Posted 10-08-2019 22:54
    Edited by Steven Schlossman 10-09-2019 23:48
    We have events that stretch across each US time zone. We base the timezone on the location.
    Honestly, I don't see the logic of basing it on your organization's time zone.

Our next event is on the east coast. We have attendees from all over the country. If we are opening up a popular session, I'll schedule an email for noon to allow our west coast attendees to see the email at a reasonable time.

If you use OnArrival or CrowdCompass, the times will all be offset if you are event other than Central Time.
    Of every event I've done, time zone has never been an issue.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America