Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-16-2019 17:31
    Hello folks;

I'm trying to figure out why the name of the email header graphic is showing up in the lead-in text of emails we send.

For instance, if I put together an email:
    Subject: Our Event
    Email Header Image Name: EventPhoto.jpg
    Text: Come to our event on Saturday. Click below to RSVP.

When the email gets to an inbox like Gmail, where you see the subject and the lead-in text, it appears as:
    This Cool Group     Our Event - EventPhoto.jpg Come to our event on Saturday
    or
    This Cool Group     Our Event - EventPhoto.jpg event on Saturday. Click below to

When it should appear as:
    This Cool Group     Our Event - Come to our event on Saturday.

Why is the name of the email header graphic appearing in the inbox lead-in text? How do I stop it? We've even noticed that while everyone seems to get the name of the graphic, the text that follows varies. One person will see the first text in the email, and someone else will see text from half way down the email.

I know for sure it's happening in Campaign emails, but can't assess whether it's happening in non-campaign emails.

Thanks in advance,
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Ann Warren
    Assistant Director of Advancement Communications
    Bradley University-Alumni Association

• 2.  RE: Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-17-2019 09:34
    Hello Ann,

We have not come across that issue with Cvent and gmail ourselves, but I can suggest to use Alt text for the header image. My other suggestion is have a better descriptive subject line. Instead of "Our Event" use something like, "Our Alumni Dinner".

Hopefully these suggestions help,

James Rose | Senior Web Developer and Content Management
    Digital Infrastructure, Implementation, Strategy, and Support
    Office of University Development | University of Michigan

• 3.  RE: Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-17-2019 15:43

Hi James;

Thanks for your reply.

My question is why the name of the graphic is showing up in the email lead-in text. 

I understand how to use ALT text, that wouldn't solve the issue. And the subject line in my initial message was simply an example to illustrate the problem.

Ann 

• 4.  RE: Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-18-2019 11:10
    Edited by Katie McIntyre 12-18-2019 11:11
    Hi Ann,

Different email clients have different rules for addressing what displays below the subject line in an HTML email (called "preheader text"). If you want to be sure that your preheader text displays only what you want people to see, you can add some code similar to this at the top of your email, before the opening <table> tag:

<div style="color: #fff; line-height: 1px; overflow: hidden; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1px; display: none; max-height: 0px; max-width: 0px; opacity: 0;">
    I am the text you will see in your inbox before opening the email!
    </div>

All of the styles listed are to ensure the text ONLY appears in the inbox beneath the subject line, and not in the email itself when opened:

color: #fff (sets the color to white, but this should be the same color as your email template's background)
    line-height & font-size: 1px (this text can only take up 1 pixel of height)
    overflow: hidden (don't show anything that is bigger than the box it's in)
    display: none (do not show)
    max-height & max-width: 0 (the containing box can be 0 pixels talls and wide)
    opacity: 0 (make this whole thing invisible)

I think the only thing you would need to change to customize the code above is the color value and the content; the other styles should be universal.

Thanks!

Katie McIntyre
    Manager, Technical Production
    Opus Agency

• 5.  RE: Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-19-2019 10:28

That worked! It's perfect!

Thank you so much, Katie.

Ann

• 6.  RE: Graphic name shows up in subject line text lead-in

Posted 12-19-2019 22:46
    @Katie McIntyre ​ I can't wait to try it in my mail lists outside of cvent. :)

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America