Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Moving a meeting later in the year, after people have registered

Posted 02-17-2021 11:35
    Can I change the date of a meeting after people have registered?

We have a training class scheduled for next month but we're seeing lower numbers than we expected.  So, we're considering moving the meeting until late summer.  

The people who are currently registered would prefer not to register again.  Thoughts?
    #EventApp-Building/managing

------------------------------
    Kim Abbott
    North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation

• 2.  RE: Moving a meeting later in the year, after people have registered

Community MVP
    Posted 02-17-2021 22:30
    You can! If there aren't registration fees involved, I don't see any major drawbacks in doing this. The only reason I typically don't is because it can skew some of our event analytics (registered vs. attended, for example, as a change in date often results in higher attrition).

There are a number of places in which dates reside, so just be sure you change all of them (session, admission item cut offs, email send dates, etc.). Also keep in mind that if the event is in Classic, there may be edits you aren't able to make down the road.

Katie McIntyre
    Senior Manager, Technical Design and Development
    Opus Agency

• 3.  RE: Moving a meeting later in the year, after people have registered

Posted 02-18-2021 08:05
    Thanks Katie!  There are registration fees involved.  So, I contacted Cvent customer service to see what problems I may face trying to reschedule the event.  Fortunately, I can still move the dates, despite the registration fees.  They provided this helpful article about postponing events and warned me to check where all the dates reside including my refund policy.  Thanks again for your advice!  

https://support.cvent.com/apex/CommunityArticle?id=000072611 

Kim Abbott
    North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation

• 4.  RE: Moving a meeting later in the year, after people have registered

Community MVP
    Posted 02-18-2021 13:15
    Apologies, Kim, I didn't mean to imply you couldn't move the event if it had fees, only that we typically don't - we've run into quite a few issues with registrants requesting refunds on cards that have since been closed, or leaving the company who paid for their registration, and so on, so when money is involved we usually cancel and refund everyone just so the money is easier to track. But that's 100% a "your mileage may vary" situation.

Katie McIntyre
    Senior Manager, Technical Design and Development
    Opus Agency

• 5.  RE: Moving a meeting later in the year, after people have registered

Community MVP
    Posted 02-18-2021 11:06
    We changed our event from August 2020 to April 2021 with no problem. We let everyone know of the move if the needed to cancel.
    The only thing that may be an issue are refunds as is probably mentioned in the article posted above. Refunds will need to be made on the backend.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America