Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Posted 10-26-2020 11:19

Happy Monday, all! We're here with our next Huddle of the Week discussion. A few weeks back, we asked you through our poll what skill you found most critical as a planner during these times. While there were a range of responses, the majority responded with event technology.

So, our questions for you this week are:

• What exactly does that (event technology skills) mean to you?
    • What skills have you learned and explored while supporting virtual events that you previously did not have?

Do any of the other skills come into play, such as virtual production, creativity to produce engaging content & experiences, or marketing from a new lens, that work alongside these new event technology skills? 

Let us know your thoughts and experiences by clicking the Reply button. If there is something that you still want to learn while supporting virtual, let us know, too! #HuddleoftheWeek #VoiceIt

By the way, Cvent's Virtual Events Certification is now available! Take your skills to the next level and get certified for free through the end of the year.

#Miscellaneous
    #ManagingVirtualEvents

------------------------------
    Danni Czark
    Senior Associate, Online Community Marketing
    Cvent

• 2.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Community MVP
    Posted 10-27-2020 15:25
    Our virtual events are very simple so I don't have anything to say.
    Event Technology skills, to me, is being able to modify the backend of the registration to accommodate last minute changes while 5 people are watching and holding back your frustration because you asked 10 times, we are not taking walkins, correct? NO. NO WALKINS! Until you now have to accept walkins. :)

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 3.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

User Group Member
    Posted 10-29-2020 13:30
    Being able to make edits on the fly. 

Being able to design backdrops and know how to set up stuff for ON24 or other virtual platforms.

Being able to edit videos or make tweaks on the fly.

Understanding all the technical components that go into making a better event - lighting, internet speeds, connections, being able to multitask as a producer on events.

Rachel Sigley
    Sr. Brand Marketing Manager
    Tata America International Corporation

• 4.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Community MVP
    Posted 10-29-2020 13:50
    Danni, 

I just registered for the Cvent's Virtual Events Certification.  I'm excited to learn!  Thanks for offering the certification for FREE!!!!

Colleen Beck
    Director of Sales & Marketing
    The Westin Tampa Bay

• 5.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Posted 10-29-2020 15:06
    In my experience event technology covers everything from setting up cameras, lighting etc. to all things virtual.  Also, helping attendees with laptops and mobile apps are common.  I actually helped an attendees husband get access to a sports app do he could watch golf while she was in session.

I have had to catch up with virtual meetings.  We did not do them before.

Edward House
    App and Tech Supprt
    Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development

• 6.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Community MVP
    Posted 10-29-2020 18:38
    Hi Danni,

• What exactly does that (event technology skills) mean to you?
      • being able to make changes easily, ensure that everyone has access and the event doesn't drop while live
    • What skills have you learned and explored while supporting virtual events that you previously did not have?
      • I have been attending a lot of Cvent webinars recently on virtual and hybrid events to learn more as this is not necessarily part of my daily job, and to then share with our team what I learned and what we can do better. I've signed up for the Virtual Events Certification and looking forward to test what I have learned.

Andrea

Andrea Timbes
    CRM Administrator & Lead Catcher
    Visit Fort Worth

• 7.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Community MVP
    Posted 11-02-2020 10:39
    Regarding virtual events, we've had to train our marketing team on the entire process of scheduling virtual events in Cvent and integrating that with Zoom. We have also updated our presentation decks and work more closely with our presenters on ensuring we have a compelling presentation deck free of typos and formatting errors that may have slipped through the cracks in our live events because our process really didn't have a final review/edit from a marketing perspective (ie: number of words on a slide, orphan words and orphan lines, rule of thirds, etc.). Not that we don't have too many words on a slide - because our events are educational in nature, we often have too many words on a slide, but we focus on making that content look clean and as easy to read as possible.

Lori Wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme, McMillen & Associates, Inc.

• 8.  RE: Huddle of the Week #6: New Event Planner Skills

Posted 11-02-2020 16:36
    Event technology is a very broad term - it can include what others have mentioned in terms of lighting, staging and production, but also the various technology products that are used throughout the lifecycle of an event.

For example, what technology product is being used to capture registration, does that platform offer a "hub" or virtual environment? Which product(s) can you use to conduct polls & surveys during the event, does the platform you're using offer breakout session functionality or do you have to use a different platform? Is collaboration possible, what about gamification or attendee interaction (chatting, etc.). And of course, if you are using various platforms, how can you seamlessly integrate all of the event technology so that the experience isn't a headache for the attendee. There are just so many things to consider!

Angela Le
    Cleveland, OH, USA