Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Formatting text in Flex

Posted 01-15-2020 18:20
    I've been searching without luck on how to format copy on a web page in Flex.  I have a client who wants copy with bullet points and for everything to line up in a very specific way, and I am totally unable to figure this out.  Any ideas on source materials?  I'm tempted to make it a picture because I'm at wit's end.

Thank you!
    Sharon
    #Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Sharon Anderson
    Account Manager, Event Services
    Prestige Global Meetings Source

• 2.  RE: Formatting text in Flex

Community MVP
    Posted 01-15-2020 22:23
    Hello Sharon,

Flex is limited with getting everything precisely to line up compared to coding HTML, but it does have many styling options. Starting with the theme. Fonts, colors, and specific font choices for the different headings.  Along with the theme, there is the wyzywig for text widget, as well as custom settings for most the widgets.

Just in case, if your client supplied you with a Word document or PDF remind them web is not Microsoft or Adobe.

Good luck

James Rose | Senior Web Developer and Content Management
    Digital Infrastructure, Implementation, Strategy, and Support
    Office of University Development | University of Michigan

• 3.  RE: Formatting text in Flex

User Group Member
    Posted 01-20-2020 14:23
    Hi Sharon, 

We have the same issue and it's quite frustrating. Our issue is the Event Description widget we use in several areas of the reg site does not allow us to use bullets which means, as it stands we have the two options Michael and Katie posted below which means, our Event Managers would have to create a new text box in each of the areas of the registration site we plan to have the Event Description, which would be very time consuming, for edits, etc. 

If Cvent brought back Custom Block data tags that would help a lot!

Maybe Cvent will find another solution for us clients that like to line up text with bullets. Hopefully
    !

Nadine Demyanovich
    Cvent Admin
    Illumina, Inc.

• 4.  RE: Formatting text in Flex

Posted 01-16-2020 09:12
      |   view attached
    Hi Sharon,

Do you have an example of what you are trying to accomplish?

Have you tried moving the left and right spacing of the widget of the text box?

Enter the text with bullet points and left justify the text. Select Customize > Widget and move the Left Spacing slider right to move the text right.

Michael Gaytan
    Meeting Advice

• 5.  RE: Formatting text in Flex

Community MVP
    Posted 01-17-2020 12:34
    Hi Sharon,

If you know how to code the HTML for what you need, you can go to Admin > Account > Custom Data Tags and create a data tag that houses your HTML. Then, inside Flex, add a text widget, click the tag icon, and select "Account Custom Tag." Choose your tag from the dropdown, and it will pull the correctly styled HTML into your site.

I just did a test with adding a simple table, and it seems to work quite well.

If you're not sure how to code the HTML, you can cheat by typing your text right here in a comment, styling it, and then clicking "HTML" to view the code. Or you can always Google "WYSIWIG HTML Editor" and download one of the many free options available.

Hope it helps!

Katie McIntyre
    Senior Manager, Event Registration
    Opus Agency