Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Acquiring post attendee list from a conference

Posted 05-08-2020 09:23
    One of our vendors at our last conference let me know that they had been approached via email by a third party entity to see if they would be interested in acquiring the post attendee list from our conference (for a mere $300.00). I would like to know if this is common for third party entities to get and sell the attendee information and how we can prevent this in the future.
    Thank you for your assistance.
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Barbara Goldsby
    Registration and Treasurer
    Courage to Risk

• 2.  RE: Acquiring post attendee list from a conference

Posted 05-12-2020 14:26
    Hi Barbara - this is really common, from my experience, and we get offers for almost all major conferences to buy their list from third-parties. I don't know how you prevent it and how accurate those lists could possibly be, but we always know to ask the conference organizers for the list and include that in our list of sponsorship/exhibitor benefits. We want to be sure the list is accurate and vetted and that all GDPR regulations have been followed in collecting that data in the first place.

Not sure if that helps, but if you're not already providing it complimentary to big sponsors/exhibitors maybe there's a way you can include this in your packages to drive the third parties out of business where your conferences are concerned.

Stacy Wright
    Event Manager, Commercial Excellence
    Galderma Laboratories, L.P..

• 3.  RE: Acquiring post attendee list from a conference

Posted 05-13-2020 13:01
    Hi Barbara - This is very normal. Just curious, what type of conference?  I see this consistently with tech conferences.  I think it's more rare that we don't have access to the previous years attendee list (at a cost).  As suggested below, as the conference organizer, you may want to get in front of it and offer the list yourself.  From the position of someone who uses the attendee lists, I'd rather get the information from a conference organizer than a third party.

Kayla Sisco
    Convention Coordinator
    Impact XM