Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rommate Exceptions

Posted 09-16-2019 11:28
    We have a sales meeting where about 200 attendees are requested to room with a co-worker.  We always have exceptions when people advise us of medical requests (mostly sleep apnea/snoring).  Up until recently we ask them to provide us with their medical excuse from their doctor.  We don't have HR involved in the process since it will extend the "cooks in the kitchen" but wonder if any has a best practice that they can share.  I don't want personal information on hand if not necessary.

Thank you.
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Karoline Medancic
    Senior Manager Global Meeting Andtravel Services
    STERIS Corporation

• 2.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Posted 09-20-2019 11:11
    Hi Karoline, 

This is definitely a tricky situation. I'm not sure if the group is mostly the same as year's past, but if so, could you grandfather people in if they made a medical request last year? And then only filter the new requests to HR? 

Perhaps set-up a unique email address for the event where attendees need to send in their paperwork when a request is made. I.E. roomblock@steris.com

Good luck! 
    Haley

Haley Kilar
    Junior Operations Coordinator
    Encore Live Productions

• 3.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Community MVP
    Posted 09-20-2019 11:13

I know this isn't the answer you were wanting, but forcing employees to room together is a terrible practice. I understand the desire to save costs, but they are attending meetings all day long, and then you expect them to have no privacy or down-time because they are stuck with a co-worker after hours? No opportunity to de-compress and have some quiet time if they need it?

I highly recommend your company change this practice, as I can guarantee you that your employees dread having to room together. Here's data to back it up: https://www.askamanager.org/search-results?q=share%20hotel%20room

Lori Wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme McMilllen & Associates

• 4.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Posted 09-20-2019 11:27
    It's a great response.  Correct that it's not what I was looking for but I don't disagree with you.  I was shocked when I joined the company a few years ago and found this to be a common practice.  However, I have since found that other companies do this as well though the majority do not.  Fortunately, when someone comes to us with a reason not to room with someone, we honor it.  Additionally, the high majority of our employees in the "Roommate bucket" have known each other for a long time (we have very low turnover) and provide a list of people they'd like to room with.
    Also, I like the blog.  I'll definitely save it for other information as well.  Thank you.

Karoline Medancic
    Senior Manager Global Meeting Andtravel Services
    STERIS Corporation

• 5.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Community MVP
    Posted 09-20-2019 11:49

My pleasure! I love the Ask a Manager blog – I've learned a lot!

ATTENTION: This message and all attachments are PRIVATE, and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and PRIVILEGED. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message immediately. If you no longer wish to receive communication from DMA, please click here.

• 6.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Community MVP
    Posted 09-20-2019 11:34
    Edited by Kameron Kidd 01-18-2024 14:10
    We have a conference were we pay for hotel rooms. Could easily be 200 room nights over the weekend.
    We pay in full if someone will share a room. We give the option of a single room where we split the cost.

This particular event is primarily male. If a female cannot find a roommate, we cover her room.

Additionally, this event is a leadership conference of volunteers. We are a car club with chapters throughout the country. The chapter will often pickup the difference. So our situation is a bit different. But cutting down on expenses is not.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 7.  RE: Rommate Exceptions

Posted 09-22-2019 21:14
    I don't believe you can ask for a medical excuse. No one has to disclose their medical history to their work.
    you may just need to do it on the honor system or give incentives to room together. Also offering an option where people can name who they want to room with or the option to pay half for their own room may work out too

Kim Schechter
    Program and Administrative Manager
    Executive Director Inc.