Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  New Reports Tips & Tricks

Community MVP
    Posted 04-07-2021 12:10

Hi all! I'm excited to be posting the next edition of Tip of the Week. 

TOPIC: New Reports

There have been several inquiries in the Cvent Community regarding reporting.  Below is some information and ways to mitigate some of the challenges people are experiencing with reporting.

Where are Sessions and Admission Items in Cross Event Reports?

If you are looking for a cross event report that includes registration by Session Name or Admission Item, you will find this data under "Agenda Items".  Use the Agenda Item Type filter to choose which Agenda Item data you want included in your report.

Cross Event Session Reports

Cross Event Reports > Agenda Items - Registration Details

Cross Event Reports > Agenda Items - Registration Summary

Admission Item = Agenda Item Name
    Session Name = Agenda Item Name

Session Code = Agenda Item Code

Filter by Agenda Item Type if you only want to include sessions.

Coding and Naming Standards

How we build out our events as it relates to reporting not only provides the data that is needed for KPIs and metrics, but it also enhances event management efficiencies.  Use naming and coding standards to help keep data consistent event over event.  

Example: 

YearMoDa | Event Name | Internal Job# or other identifier

2021-0330 | Virtual Wine Tasting | JOB00000

Coding in this manner helps with sorting, searching and identifying specific events using various methods of identification.  This can also be applied to Session Coding.

Field Data List by Report Workbook

Creating the Workbook

One of the challenges with the new reporting module is finding the field data we need within each Cvent-templated report. You can create an Excel Workbook of report fields by copying and pasting the fields for each report to a worksheet. 

• Open a report and go to Report Data Settings > Fields
    • In the Display: menu, I choose the category and Select All.  I do this for all of the categories of information that are relevant.  For instance, I do not include categories related to travel.
    • Run
    • Export a report
    • Copy and Paste the field names using the Text to Column paste function.
    • Rename the worksheet to the report name

While this is not foolproof when Cvent updates their reports, this will give you a good starting point for creating reports without having to pop in and out of reports in Cvent looking for the field data you need.

Using the Field Data List by Report Workbook to Create Reports

One of the challenges expressed is not having the ability to create a singular report to include all of the data needed.  Build strategy will help mitigate this.  Now that you have the fields for each report, you can blueprint your report(s) in Excel. By using Excel, you can see more of the fields, easily order the fields for your report and think out the filtering and sorting, then apply your information in Cvent.  This approach is an effective way to create a larger, comprehensive report or group of reports to help get your metrics and to enhance event management.  Refer to the image for an example. 

• Copy your Field Data List workbook
    • Open the tab corresponding to the report you are creating
    • Set up the worksheet as follows with the bolded words as your field header in the first row:
      • Column A = Order This is a column with a numerical sequence to correspond with the column order in a report.
      • Column B = Field Name
      • Column C = Notes (Filters, Groupings, Sorting and any general notes)

• Turn on the Filter Data function in the first row.
    • People will be able to easily change the order of the fields by updating the number in Column A and then sorting Smallest to Largest.  No cutting and pasting needed.
    • Apply to the report in Cvent.  From there, you will be able to easily change the order (use Cvent's easy click and drag feature), filters, grouping and sorting, if needed.

Build Reports into Your Registration Site Templates

You are able to template your reports within a registration site template.   

What are your reporting hacks? - Let me know below! 

• What are ways you use reporting to enhance your event management processes?
    • How do you use coding and naming standards to enhance your event management processes?
    • What is your method of building reports?
    • What enhancements would you like to be made to Reporting?

#CventTip
    #ReportingandInsights

------------------------------
    Loretta Peterson
    Events Associate
    CDW

• 2.  RE: New Reports Tips & Tricks

Posted 04-08-2021 09:41
    What a great topic!  Thanks Loretta.  I have two questions.  

1.  Are there any cross event reports that can filter by company name?  We're hosting 20 training classes this year.  One of our customers is frequently confused about who they have registered, and for which class.  It would be so awesome to have a cross event report that would make this job easier for me!  Currently, I have to pull the information for each class (event).

2.  Are there any settings or field options that will add the title of the event on the report?  I export to excel, but I always have to insert a row on top with the name of the event.  I wish the event title was automatically added.  

Kim Abbott
    North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation

• 3.  RE: New Reports Tips & Tricks

Community MVP
    Posted 04-08-2021 10:15
    Edited by Loretta Peterson 04-08-2021 10:31
    Hi Kim,

These are great questions!  

1.  Are there any cross event reports that can filter by company name?  We're hosting 20 training classes this year.  One of our customers is frequently confused about who they have registered, and for which class.  It would be so awesome to have a cross event report that would make this job easier for me!  Currently, I have to pull the information for each class (event).

• Use the Cross-Event Agenda Items - Registration Details Report
    • Actions > Change Report Data > Report Data Settings
      • Selection Criteria > Agenda Item Type > make sure Sessions is chosen
      • Fields tab > add the Company Name field
    • Run report
    • Filters > Edit Filters > turn on the Company Name and Agenda Item Type filters (and any other filters you want to use)
    • Click on Apply
    • Agenda Item Type Filter:  Check the box next to Session
    • Company Name Filter:  In the browser box, Search by Keyword > type in the company name you are searching and check the box next to the company name
    • Click on Apply

Note:  The Session Names will be under the Agenda Item Name column.  This has thrown off a lot of people looking for session information.

2.  Are there any settings or field options that will add the title of the event on the report?  I export to excel, but I always have to insert a row on top with the name of the event.  I wish the event title was automatically added.  

The Event Title might not be showing up in the report because you are grouping by Event Title.  If you download the report as an Excel file, the report will be set up with your groupings.

If you want a report with a column of Event Titles, turn off the grouping.

• Click on the ellipsis (3 vertical dots) at the top far right of the data grid.
    • Click on Edit from the drop down menu.
    • Click on Groupings (to the right of Columns)
    • Click on the "x" next to the grouping items you want to remove

On another note, I use the Session Code and a Custom Session Field to filter, sort and organize/group data in my reports to be able include the Event Title and other information in the reports.  The various new session reports would be missing certain data we needed and we now use the coding to bridge that gap.

To set up a Custom Session Field:

• Admin > Custom Fields > Custom Session Fields

These are all short-version instructions. Feel free to reach out to me privately if you need further assistance!

Loretta Peterson
      Events Associate
      CDW

• 4.  RE: New Reports Tips & Tricks

Posted 04-08-2021 13:50
      Loretta, 

You are a Cvent genius!  I followed your instructions on number 1 and that's exactly what I was hoping for.  For my 2nd question, I did not have anything checked under groupings.  So, I may have to continue adding the title to the top.  That's okay.  

You're awesome, thank you so much!

Kim

Kim Abbott

• 5.  RE: New Reports Tips & Tricks

Community MVP
      Posted 04-08-2021 15:17
      Edited by Loretta Peterson 04-08-2021 15:23
      That is great, Kim!

I misunderstood your second question.  Don't know how to get content into the first row or if it is even possible via Cvent. 

You might know how to do this, however, I'll share in case others don't know about this - we can rename the report.

After you run your report:

• In the report name box above the data grid, type in the report name you would like to use.
      • Click on the checkmark at the right.

• Your report will download with the updated name.  It will show at the top of your Excel screen and you will be able to simply click "Save" to save the report with that name. 

Loretta Peterson
      Events Associate
      CDW

• 6.  RE: New Reports Tips & Tricks

Posted 04-12-2021 08:33
      I did not realize I could update the name.  Thanks again!  This will be a great time saver. 

Kim Abbott