Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 01-23-2020 13:17
    Hi Everyone, 

I am working to leverage Google Analytics in our CVent FLEX Events, but not having a lot of luck so far. My company's Marketing team provided me with a Google Analytics snippet and I have enabled it in "Code Snippets" in CVent, however, the Makreting team has responded that the data being pulled via the code does not help them set up a goal around conversions (e.g. people actually registering for an event). 

Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Thanks!
    #Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents
    #PromotingYourEvent

------------------------------
    Jonathan Collins
    Training Applications and eLearning Business Analyst
    NSF Center for Public Health Education

• 2.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 01-24-2020 05:15
    Hi Jonathan,

I have made a goal for registrations in our Analytics account and after some trial and error, it worked.

Here's my set-up:
    - Goal configuration: don't use a template, but choose Adapted
    - Goal details:
    1. Use a regular expression for the first field (Destination). For me it's: .*\/confirmation?.* (since confirmation is part of the URL)
    2. Use the Funnel option. I then did: 
      1. "Start registration" with regular expression: .*\/regProcessStep1.* (and I made it obligatory)
      2. "During registration" with regular expression: .*\/regpage:.*

I did some Test subscriptions in our account, and it works for us, so I hope this can help you as well :-)

Kind regards,

Chiara

Emile Vandemeulebroeke
    BEMAS-Belgium Maintenance Association vzw/asbl

• 3.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 01-24-2020 09:17
    Thank you, Emile, 

I will give this a try and see how it works. Thank you so much for sharing this! 

- Jon

Jonathan Collins
    Training Applications and eLearning Business Analyst
    NSF Center for Public Health Education

• 4.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 12-11-2020 11:58
    Did you ever get this working? I have had no luck in getting GTM tags in our Flex events because Cvent merges all the code snippets together into a single script tag, and puts it in the html body. Google literally can't see the code to trigger the tag.

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 5.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 12-11-2020 16:10

Hi David,

Is there a reason you don't want to use the out of the box integration with google analytics via the promotion & communication --> weblinks --> google analytics? There you can just add a GA tracking code and that's all that needs to be done.

If there is a reason you need to use google tag manager instead, you should try adding a code widget on the flex event website site designer. If you don't see the widget "code" on your build menu then it's likely your CVENT account manager needs to turn it on. This should allow you to add the first part but also the second part of the GTM install code that doesn't belong in script tags - which is what is likely giving you trouble today in code snippets today. It might be annoying to add this code widget on each page, but I'm thinking this could work for you and if it's built into a template then not so bad moving forward.

Best,
    Evan

Evan Ring
    Senior Operations Manager
    Dow Jones & Co., Inc

• 6.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 12-11-2020 17:42
    Thanks for the note, Evan. We would like to use GTM… (I'm not an expert on that part, but my understanding is that it allows us far more analytics for conversion tracking, and also lets us track things like facebook pixels, etc., all built in).

I have tried code snippets repeatedly, and have never gotten them to work in Flex. The problem is that Cvent Flex is munging the code we insert so badly that it is impossible for google tags to even register that it is on the page.

Here's an example… let's say google says to add this to the page header:
    <script>
    doThis
    </script>

and add this to the page body:
    <script>
    doThat
    </script>​

The Cvent flex guidelines say we should remove the script tags, because cvent will add them for us. So I make two code snippets:
    First code snippet:
    doThis
    Second code snippet:
    doThat

However, the result is that Flex squishes it all together, adds its own code, and puts this in the page body:
    <script nonce="asdfjkdf9refblahblahblahcode">
    doThis
    window.CVENT.addTriggerHandlers('RegistrationConversion', function() doThat
    </script>

Google says: "nope, I don't recognize what you've done there, so I'm simply going to ignore it."

Maybe I'm using the code snippets wrong; maybe I need to make some other edits to the GTM code that Google gives us (besides removing the script tags). But I have never gotten it to work. I have asked Cvent to fix their code so that it doesn't mush all the code snippets together into a single script tag, but I haven't heard back yet.

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 7.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 06-03-2021 09:04
    Evan,

This is very helpful, thank you - I'm wondering if you would be able to provide more detail on anything else that you included in your site to get GTM working. We currently have as you stated: The <script> tag placed with Code Snippets (inefficiently in the <body>, but seemingly functional) and the <noscript> tag placed with the Code Widget in Site Builder on every page of registration. The Google Tag Assistant plugin still throws some "optimization" requests, and seems to have trouble seeing the <noscript> tag, but it seems to at least be functional.

Anything else you did to get this working? Any other code snippets or code widget inputs that you inputted to either track conversions or other actions with Cvent?

Alex Nuttall
    Vice President of Digital Strategy
    Kindle Communications

• 8.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 06-03-2021 11:05
    Thanks, Alex. It wasn't until I read your reply that I actually understood Evan's comment above… about using BOTH code snippets and code widgets on the page itself. (Not sure why that didn't sink in the first time.)

I'd also love to hear more insight into how to adjust the code widgets.

(But, to be honest, I'm still peeved that Cvent hasn't figured out how to implement this basic functionality simply for us.)

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 9.  RE: Making Sense of Google Analytics

Posted 06-17-2021 08:47
    Edited by Danielle Czark 06-17-2021 09:43
    EDIT: Goals flowing in correctly, I just had to wait a bit! :D 

Hey Emile,
    this is incredibly helpful, thanks! 

Unfortunately, the goals are still not flowing correctly in my account and I'm quite sure I did everything right. 

Do you think I'm missing any step? 
    Thanks!

Sebastiano Quaranta
    Senior Web Content Manager
    OutSystems Software em Rede SA