Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Google Tag Manager

• 1.  Google Tag Manager

Posted 06-01-2020 08:32
    Hi all,

Has anybody had any success implementing Google Tag Manager to their flex sites?

The Google Tag Manager container snippet is needs to be placed in both the header and the body - has anybody managed to achieve this?

Best wishes,

Matt
    #Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Matt Ackroyd
    Euromoney Trading Ltd

• 2.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Community MVP
    Posted 06-05-2020 11:10
    You can set a Google tracking ID... here's a link to the Google Analytics Guide: https://support.cvent.com/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fapex%2FCommunityArticle%3Fid%3D000002980%26Lang%3Den_US%26searchTerm%3Dgoogle%2Btag%2Bmanager&entityId=ka12G0000009FACQA2&_CONFIRMATIONTOKEN=VmpFPSxNakF5TUMwd05pMHdPRlF4TlRvd09EbzFPQzR4TVROYSxJbXg2OEFOXzJQRnd1VUZCbDVwR25hLFpERmtZV05p&common.udd.actions.ActionsUtilORIG_URI=%2Fservlet%2FfileField&field=Download_File__Body__s

Lori wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme, McMillen & Associates, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 12-11-2020 11:58
    But that document is from 2018 and doesn't seem to include Flex or code snippets for Google Tag Manager.

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 4.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 02-25-2021 10:35
    Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same boat and CVENT customer support didn't seem to know/ suggested I hire a developer. *sigh*

Hilary Wickes
    Marketing Coordinator
    America Outdoors Association

• 5.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 02-25-2021 15:15
    No… I have pleaded with multiple people at cvent (tech support, account manager, etc.) to even prove that this is possible. Just show me one Cvent client that has made conversion tracking work. And they have no response.

Like Lori, above, they keep pointing to the same lame cvent documentation, or to google's documentation, but cvent is deeply clueless, as far as I can tell.

Some months ago, I had a conversation with someone in Cvent tech support who said that the Google Analytics team was just a mile or two away from the Cvent building in New Delhi… I suggested they just send someone over there! Figure this out! This is a Cvent problem, not ours.

This is the main reason we will probably not renew with Cvent.

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 6.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 02-26-2021 04:44

Hi Hilary and David,

I've been similarly frustrated, although I had a meeting with the Flex Product Manager who assured me GTM integration would be possible in H1. As it's a one page application, it's not currently possible to add the code to both the header and footer. I've had some success with adding the header code (without script) which is allowing us to fire tags.

From an SEO perspective, I'm also having difficulties. If anything Flex is a step back on the capability you had with Classic. 

Matt Ackroyd
    Product Manager
    Euromoney Trading Ltd

• 7.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Cvent Staff
    Posted 03-05-2021 15:05

I want to circle back on this thread to let everyone know that we elevated your concerns to the product and support teams.  

The product team is looking into approaches to make using Google Tag Manager (GTM) in Cvent easier but are still in the research phase so they cannot provide an expected timeline.  To follow the status of GTM enhancements I encourage you to upvote and follow the Google Tag Manager (GTM) vs Google Analytics (GA) idea in the Ideas section of the Community.

In the meantime, the support team is also looking if there is further guidance or additional documentation or that can be added to the Knowledge Base.

Thank you all for your candid feedback!

Jodi Meier
    Online Community Manager

• 8.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 03-05-2021 17:12
    Thank you, Jodi. I really appreciate your following up with this. However, I need to point out that I've been working with the Cvent support team on this since August, 2019 (including hours of calls, exchanged emails, etc) and they have made zero improvements. The idea that they are "in the research phase" is… well, it's a little disappointing to read.

David Blatner
    President
    Creative Pro Network

• 9.  RE: Google Tag Manager

Posted 05-12-2022 10:47
    After hours of searching and testing, I finally figured out how to add GTM to a Flex event and get it to fire correctly to load the container, fire off page views and a reg conversion event. To save everyone else time, here was my setup:

This one goes in a snippet with the type Initialization:
    /* initialization snippet */
    (function(w,d,s,l,i){w[l]=w[l]||[];w[l].push({'gtm.start':
    new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],
    j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'?'&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src=
    'https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f);
    })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-YOUR CONTAINER CODE HERE');
    /* end initialization snippet */

This one goes in a snippet with the type All website and registration pages:
    /* pageview snippet */
    dataLayer.push({
    'event': 'cvent_page_view'
    });
    /* end pageview snippet */

This one goes in a snippet with the type Registration conversions:
    /* reg conversion snippet */
    dataLayer.push({
    'event': 'reg_complete'
    });
    /* reg conversion snippet */

Here is the the export of the GTM container that I created to handle pushing the pageviews and registration complete event to GTM. It works for both UA and G4. All you have to do is import and update the IDs with your values (or replace with your settings/config variables). Hopefully no one else will have to spend hours trying to figure this out!

Jennifer Bissex
    Maritz

• 10.  RE: Google Tag Manager

User Group Member
    Posted 02-06-2023 07:26
    Edited by Brad Sommer 02-06-2023 07:57
    Hi Jennifer,

Is there any chance that you could share an updated link with a screenshot of the "export of the GTM container" that you mentioned above? I'm trying to get this to work for our CVENT instance as well and would greatly appreciate it.

Also, thank you for your post. It has so much great information.
    Brad

-- UPDATE --
    I found an different post from Jennifer that contained a different file called "export of the GTM container". I imported this into my GTM account and think it may work.

GTM container for Cvent Flex Sites.json