Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a Mentor :)

Posted 08-15-2019 12:46
    Good afternoon my Cvent friends!  

Although this is a little OT, I was hoping that one of you would have some ideas for me.  After Cvent Connect this year, I realized I really wanted to make a change from my current role, but I'm a little stuck as to the best next step for me.  I have reached out to a couple of industry vets I have known for a while, but haven't been able to connect with anyone to get some advice.  Is there any senior planners out there who would be willing to share some of your wisdom on career plans/paths?  If it works out, I'd love it to be an ongoing relationship, but I know how busy everyone is :) . Although I don't have anything to offer in return (other than Starbucks gift cards!), I would be so grateful for the opportunity. 

Thanks so much!!
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Elaine Barber
    Senior Events Professional

• 2.  RE: Looking for a Mentor :)

Posted 08-16-2019 07:47
    Hi Elaine,
    I would be happy to talk and if you would like for us to stay connected, I'd be honored to continue the relationship.
    At this point in my career I believe I'd be considered a senior planner, I've been planning my whole live and professionally for over 20 years.

I don't know everything, but I'm constantly learning and if I can help another on their journey, I'm pleased to share what I know.

Feel free to reach out if you would to talk.
    Text/cell: 512-470-0663
    email: evamsleos@gmail.com

Eva L. Keidel
    Event Producer
    The Commons Learning Center at The University of Texas at Austin

• 3.  RE: Looking for a Mentor :)

Community MVP
    Posted 08-20-2019 19:29
    I ended up doing a lot of things I DIDN'T go to school for. First thing is to know your talents. Next thing is to be able to quantify them. Examples:
    • I inherently understand databases, so I can often use this "superpower" to quickly learn new systems and tools and find functions we aren't using or are under-utilizing to save big $$$. Example: using a "Certificate" funcionality in a Learning System database to automate Certificates of Completion. No more creating them in Adobe InDesign, batching them, printing them, printing mailing labels, and then mailing them! Started this in the USA and it was implemented globally, saving about $20K in people's time alone, never mind shipping costs.
    • Great organization skills and ability to prioritize. This makes me a good program (project) manager. I brought our event in at or under budget for 3 years running. Also tracked attendee feedback for 5 years on about 15 discrete qualities of our event and we are getting higher ratings every year. Literally 100% in a few categories last year (content quality, content relevance, networking).

Take a few tests to see what you are good at so you can briefly describe your skills. Look at projects and work you have done and quantify it. Then look at some positions you are interested in and describe how your skills and achievements can apply to the things that those jobs require.

Brenda Ainsburg
    Channel Program Manager
    brenda.ainsburg@siemens.com
    Siemens Aktiengesellschaft
    United States