Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to associate spouses/partners for seating

• 1.  How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 05-26-2020 11:48
    Hello,

We are just getting started with Cvent and are struggling to determine how to best handle some situations related to spouses/partners. We are hoping someone can help us with a few of our questions:

1. How do you manage couples who share an email address when both are their own individual invitee (not guest)? Do you allow this?
    2. How do you associate spouses/partners when they are both their own individual invitee (not guest) for seating purposes?
    3. For those of you who use joint salutations in email, how do you handle this with data tags so it works for everyone (including those not needing *joint* salutation)?

Thanks so much!
    Kirsten
    #Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    MIT Office of Resource Development

• 2.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Community MVP
    Posted 06-05-2020 10:49
    Hi Kirsten,
    Is there a reason that you are needing to handle spouses differently and not handle as a guest? That would be the easiest way to handle it (I'm also not understanding why a couple would not want to sit together???). I would also just omit the salutation.

Lori wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme, McMillen & Associates, Inc.

• 3.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 06-05-2020 17:03
    Hi Lori,

This would really be in the case of two spouses registering separately, and not one as the other's guest. That happens with us, occasionally, and when they register separately, the guest association doesn't apply, unfortunately.

Thanks,
    Kirsten

Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    Project Lead

• 4.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Community MVP
    Posted 06-05-2020 19:39
    "I'm also not understanding why a couple would not want to sit together???"
    I better not say anything. <chuckle>

Maybe use a registration question? Who will you be sitting next to?

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 5.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Posted 06-07-2020 17:08
    1. I would add a note to the site that a unique email address must be used to simply avoid confusion.  I don't imagine you'd get much push back from that.
    2.  You could add a question about the seating HOWEVER this may open up additional issues because you may end up with special requests from others.  Maybe specifically ask if you are attending with a spouse/partner.  When they answer yes, add a text box for them to type in the name.
    3. Would consider removing the salutations 

Hope this helps!!

Kayla Sisco
    Convention Coordinator
    Impact XM

• 6.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Community MVP
    Posted 06-07-2020 21:34
    I run into couples who use the same email address.
    I'll have the guest use firstnamelastname@example.com.
    They won't get emails, but at least they can register.

Steven Schlossman
    BMW Car Club of America

• 7.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 06-09-2020 09:26
    Thanks, Steven! That is a good idea to use a fake email. Do you have language on the form directing them to do so?

Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    Project Lead

• 8.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Community MVP
    Posted 06-09-2020 10:51
    Kirsten
    >Do you have language on the form directing them to do so?
    I don't. I don't want encourage it. :)

When someone contacts me, I tell them about it.

The other thing is if they have a gmail address, that can modify it for their guest which might me a better solution.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/12/19/gmail-email-address-trick
    The first way to adjust your email address is with dots because Gmail will ignore them. So, you can separate words, letters, or numbers in your address with dots to make it look different.

For instance, you can make your Gmail address appear different if you sign up for a mailing list by using my.gmail@gmail.com, m.y.gmail@gmail.com, or m.y.g.m.a.i.l@gmail.com instead of mygmail@gmail.com. No matter how many dots you use or where you put them, Gmail will still deliver those messages to your primary inbox.

The second way to change your email address but still have the emails come to your primary inbox is by using the plus sign. You can insert a plus sign with a combination of words in your email address.

For example, whenever you sign up for a newsletter, you could use mygmail+newsletters@gmail.com. Gmail will not look at what comes after the plus sign in the address so that the emails will come straight your inbox. However, you will still see those messages addressed with the +newsletters part, making them easy to spot.

Steven Schlossman
    BMW Car Club of America

• 9.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 06-09-2020 09:25
    Thank you, Kayla. I appreciate the ideas!

Best,
    Kirsten

Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    Project Lead

• 10.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Posted 06-09-2020 11:43
    Hi Kristen,

I agree with what others have suggested here regarding suggesting a fake email to your attendees who usually share one (thought i LOVE Steven's advice on gmail addresses!). As far as verbiage for this, I would edit the error message (using language management) to say something to the effect of:

A duplicate email address is already registered for this event. Please use a unique email address to proceed. For assistance, please contact: conference@email.com 

That should eliminate too many sneaky people using fake emails so that only those with a true issue like you suggested would email you for advise. 

A simple question in the registration form asking "Will a spouse/significant other be joining you at the event?" followed by sub question for "yes" answers "Please provide their name". I'd then use a "Custom Field" or the "Internal Field" feature to store this information on the back end so that you can pull a report linking both together easily. 

I'd avoid using joint salutations too. It's too easy to get it wrong and offend someone.

Good luck!

Sharna Pascolo
    Program Director
    Texas Society of Architects

• 11.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 06-09-2020 12:42
    Thank you so much Sharna! I forgot that we could also leverage error messages to guide the invitee. Great idea.

Best,
    Kirsten

Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    Project Lead

• 12.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

Posted 06-23-2020 11:52
    Hi, I would make sure that each person has a unique email address, it is easier!

Not sure why you would have spouses register individually?  It is again easier to have them register under one registration.

Sorry I am not sure how to answer your last question, I don't know much about data tags

Heather Connelly
    Incentive Travel Manager, North America
    Gordon Food Service, Inc.

• 13.  RE: How to associate spouses/partners for seating

User Group Member
    Posted 06-24-2020 09:07
    Hi Heather,

Thanks for the feedback! We are hoping spouses/partners register together, but since we cannot control if they do, we are trying to determine how to handle if they register separately. :)

Thanks!!
    Kirsten

Kirsten Derrickson-Boice
    Project Lead