Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spoofing/Spam

Posted 11-14-2019 10:48
    I've opened a ticket on this but was wondering how to get around the fact that even though the emails are going out under my company's email address, they are being blocked as spoofing since they aren't coming from our actual email server, but via Cvent's.  Is there any way around this?
    #Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Deborah Newton
    Administrative Director
    AKFCF, Inc.

• 2.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Community MVP
    Posted 11-14-2019 13:49
    Edited by Steven Schlossman 11-14-2019 13:56
    This is an issue. Short of companies whitelisting cvent's ip address, I don't know.
    Having a company whitelist an ip address is not a solution.
    We had to do for our company because I wasn't getting alerts.

One suggestion was posted in the idea section.
    Ensuring Cvent e-mail notifications can be delivered - Today, and in the future

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 3.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 11-15-2019 08:33
    Hi Deborah,

Sadly, I don't have a solution for you, but we have the same issue.  I'm constantly fielding internal frustrations that their clients are not receiving invitations.  I have spoken with Cvent in the past and they didn't have any other options for me other than the white listing that Steven notes below.  To my understanding, this is an issue of many mass emailing platforms.  Hope you are able to find a solution!

Elaine Barber
    Events Manager
    Associated Luxury Hotels International

• 4.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 11-18-2019 08:36
    Since this is a known issue Cvent should be working on it diligently.  It's a true hassle when 50% of our attendees don't get emails from us!

Deborah Newton
    Administrative Director
    AKFCF, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 11-16-2019 01:59
    I don't have a solution either if the whitelisting doesn't work, but maybe a work around.  We don't usually use invitations.  We share the weblink with the client which they send out to invitees from their email, not Cvent.  If you want to make the event private, you can upload the list of invitees from the client and make the event private to that list.  So when people go to register, their email must match the email that was provided by the client in their invitation list.

Ana Memmel
    Cvent Project Manager
    Tangerine Travel, Ltd.

• 6.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Community MVP
    Posted 11-16-2019 13:32
    The issue are with emails originating from cvent. Not everyone will receive their confirmation, event or session emails.
    I don't know how Magnet Mail, Mail Chimp and Constant Contact do it.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 7.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 11-18-2019 08:35
    Since this is a known issue, Cvent should be working on it!  It's been really frustrating!!

Deborah Newton
    Administrative Director
    AKFCF, Inc.

• 8.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 12-05-2019 13:57
    Have the same issue constantly with confirmation emails.

Ravenna Legare
    Assistant to Director of Communications
    California County Superintendents Educational Services Association (ccsesa)

• 9.  RE: Spoofing/Spam

Posted 12-06-2019 15:39
    As mentioned by others, this is a common issue across all third-party email senders. If you think about it, what Cvent is trying to do is *exactly* what spammers try to do - send email from one place but claim to be sending it from someplace else. This is why this is such a challenging problem.
    There are technologies which are slowly being adopted which can help, e.g., SPF and DKIM. SPF would allow your company to publish to the world that Cvent's email servers are authorized to send email "from" your company. DKIM would allow email sent from Cvent's servers to be digitally signed using a "signature" that is confirmed to belong to your company. Unfortunately, neither of these are used consistently by all ISPs and companies. Adding Cvent email servers to your company's list of approved email senders does introduce a small amount of risk (see https://community.cvent.com/ideas/viewidea?IdeationKey=b2b4a07a-4b4c-4393-9b08-9221808f0647). Implementing DKIM would require Cvent to do some work (I thought I previously read that Cvent would support DKIM, but I am no longer able to find that, so maybe I was mistaken or their stance has changed?).
    I believe the real solution is to actually have each customer's Cvent emails be sent from that customer's own email servers; in other words, Cvent-triggered emails don't pretend to sent from their customer, they actually are sent from their customer. This, however, would require Cvent to support the configurations to do this and it would require each customer's IT department to enable this behavior. However, I know this is possible because it is done with lots of other vendors who are hired to send email on behalf of our company.
    I wonder what solutions others have come up with to solve or at least mitigate this issue?

David Hammond