Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

• 1.  Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-01-2019 13:38
    Edited by Kameron Kidd 01-18-2024 14:09
    We are in the process of implementing Cvent in Northeastern University Advancement. One thing that has come up several times is that we will need a good system for managing and organizing the media library in the site designer so it doesn't get overrun with duplicate or personal files. Does anyone have any tips for successful ways they manage theirs? We are unsure if the best solution would be to have general folders for all of Advancement (i.e. university logos, etc.) or give each department a folder knowing there might be some duplicated logos, etc. in each dept.'s folder. Any help would be very much appreciated!
    #ManagingEvents
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Neeve MacGregor
    Events Assistant
    Northeastern University - Advancement Office

• 2.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-08-2019 19:46
    I've seen this done a few different ways!  You could organize by type of photo, as you mentioned above with what you do with the logos (we do this with hotels, convention centers, etc.). You could also organize the photos per event, but that may cause duplicates to be uploaded.  Not sure if this would be relevant to you, but you could organize by client, as well.  It may also be good to make sure everyone saves the photos under appropriate names, so that you can just search them and will be more likely to find a particular photo.  Hope this helps!

Kayla Sisco
    Convention Coordinator
    Impact XM

• 3.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 10:05
    These are some great ideas, thank you for your input!

Neeve MacGregor
    Events Assistant

• 4.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 08:37
    Hi there,

In my experience, it's less important the folders created than the naming of the actual graphics.  The reason?  You can't search for folder names in the media library - only files.  When we started with Cvent, we had individual folders per project - with 400+ events per year, that got unmanageable fast.  Now, we file by type (headshots, email headers, logos, etc).​ And we ensure that there is something in the file name that makes them easily found (e.g. all golf images have golf in the name, logos the company).

Heather Payne
    Director & Regional Head Canada, Conference & Event Marketing
    RBC Dominion Securities, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 10:09
    Hi Heather - that makes a lot of sense and is really helpful to know the search works by finding files not folders. I think we are going to solve this by creating a folder for each department within University Advancement where they can upload their own files as long as they use a naming convention on the file that indicates which department's file it is. That way, even if we have duplicates in our departmental folders we will be able to find our own copy by checking our folder or searching for our own department's naming convention. Thank you for your reply!

Neeve MacGregor
    Events Assistant

• 6.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 12:36
    I would recommend standardizing your folders so that you don't have duplicates (logos, staff photos, banners and headers, etc.). You can then add a folder for each department in which they place only graphics specific to them.

Lori Wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme McMilllen & Associates

• 7.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 12:48
    I would just make sure each file name is explicit in what it is and the date (hate updating logos/headshots to then not be sure what is the most recent one) you just have to think through your events and figure out what makes logical sense to store things.

Kim Schechter
    Program and Administrative Manager
    Executive Director Inc.

• 8.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 13:36
    The more folders, the better. It really helps because people might navigate it different ways.

Andrea Johnson
    Contract Admin
    Association of Communication Engineers

• 9.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-09-2019 17:45
    We are just getting started too. I suggest date of event, subject of file, program code. Make sure it i searchable.

Jacqueline C. Ward, CMP
    Director, Continuing Legal Education & Special Events, UNC-Chapel Hill

• 10.  RE: Best Practices for Managing the Media Library

Posted 08-12-2019 09:08
    Lots of people have mentioned "date." Agree with standardizing on naming convention. For dates, I use YYYY-MM-DD, i.e. 2019-08-12. That sorts easily and you can find the most recent version of a logo or whatever. Also, maybe you can include the dimensions for width and height, i.e. 1200wX800h. That helps to find what fits on email headers, web reg headers, conference app size-specific graphics, etc.

Brenda Ainsburg
    Channel Program Manager
    brenda.ainsburg@siemens.com
    Siemens Aktiengesellschaft
    United States