Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Posted 11-30-2020 11:40

Hello, Community members! We are back with our next Huddle of the Week discussion. Reminder – these questions posted by the Cvent Community team are geared towards sparking strategic discussion and offering a space to share new ideas and experiences amongst you all as fellow users. If you have any feedback or topic suggestions, you can share below or email Communitymanager@cvent.com.

For this week's discussion, we are looking to our hotelier/supplier audience, and thinking to the future of in-person events. Now, we all have seen how quickly the circumstances we are facing can change and expect many adjustments to come in 2021 and beyond within our industry. With that in mind, take a look at the question below and share your thoughts:

• What are the key common priorities that planners & suppliers need to keep in mind while restarting the business of in-person events, aside from health & safety, as that is certainly the top priority for all?

While we all may be in different stages when thinking of future in-person/hybrid events, consider how you will approach things differently and what you will prioritize when responding to the above. If you are a planner and have a question or suggestion for a venue, please feel free to share and discuss below. By the way, in case you missed our Ask the Expert on safer in-person meetings last month, be sure to check out the thread and great insight provided by our experts. #HuddleoftheWeek #VoiceIt 

#BiddingonGroupBusiness
    #SourcingaVenue

------------------------------
    Danni Czark
    Senior Associate, Online Community Marketing
    Cvent

• 2.  RE: Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Posted 12-01-2020 09:46
    Hi Danni,

The first thing that comes to mind is communication. What information are you providing to your potential attendees regarding the safety protocols at the location? What are airlines doing to keep travelers safe? Attendees need to believe that everything is being done to keep them safe throughout the program; however, they also must agree to adhere to the CDC guidelines, such as wearing masks and social distancing. The more information everyone has on what to expect and how to participate will provide a better and safe experience for all.

Kit Stanford
    Sr. Meeting Planner
    World Travel

• 3.  RE: Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Posted 12-01-2020 14:32
    I agree with Kit's response below - clear, concise communication is going to be imperative to getting people back en masse to traveling again for in-person events (and leisure travel). Even when I think of my own personal travel plans for later 2021, I'd love to see some sort of step-by-step chart that outlines what safety precautions have been and will be taken for me while on-site, as well as what local, state, and/or federal regulations I need to follow in order to attend. Cancellation clauses and refund guidelines for both planners and individual attendees need to be clearly outlined so that everyone understands the financial effects of hosting or traveling to these events as well.

Stacy Wright, CMP
    Senior Manager, US Congresses & Events
    Galderma Laboratories, L.P..

• 4.  RE: Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Community MVP
    Posted 12-02-2020 09:38
    I am wondering if planners will find that they are better able to negotiate as well. So perhaps it would be strategic to offer special deals, packages, value-adds, etc. that don't necessarily hurt the bottom line for the venue but are appreciated by companies booking the space. For example... free wi-fi for attendees - this has always been a sore spot for me. Just provide it for free - in this day and age, wi-fi availability should be normal.

Lori Wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme, McMillen & Associates, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Community MVP
    Posted 12-04-2020 10:55
    I think most hotel brand like mine (Westin) have done a great job at implementing and marketing safe meeting information and practices.  Hotels have become creative with meeting set ups and food & beverage offerings.  The transportation piece is still a hurdle in my opinion.   First the flying issue, then transportation to and from hotels and then transportation to any offsite events.  Motor-coach transportation is not really an option at this time in my mind.  I'm assuming that people who fly will need to Uber/Taxi to the hotel verses shuttles with multiple people.  Hotels will need to become creative and work with planners  in replacing off-site event to avoid transportation issues.  My hotel Westin Tampa Bay is fortunate to have great outdoor space on the water.  We have been creating beach and terrace events for groups to replace the off site event.  As an example, dragon boat races on the beach and water as team builders.

Colleen Beck
    Director of Sales & Marketing
    The Westin Tampa Bay

• 6.  RE: Huddle of the Week #11: Common Priorities between Planners & Suppliers for Future Business

Posted 12-07-2020 14:32
    I completely agree with more communication...from everyone.  How this meeting will be kept safe? How will the floor plans be set?  What expectations for masks, sanitizers, buffet lines are set by the hotel AND the meeting planners?  

Also, how can we be more creative with audio visual components? how can these be less expensive options for creating hybrid events?  I firmly believe we will move toward hybrid events in the coming months but my small association is unable to afford most options.

Jenn Dooley
    Executive Director
    AFELA