Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-19-2021 05:40

Have been on the chat with support multiple times and am unable to get an answer to this question... hoping someone here can help.

We have two different registration paths that are initiated by unknown users clicking a specific button on the registration website to go down that specific registration path. I was able to do this by creating website buttons using weblinks that assigned user type and associating the registration paths with those user types. However, the big problem is that any reference ID on a link directing people to the main site is not able to be passed through to the 2 registration paths.

The reason I think it is possible to do this is CVENT's own Connect Event:

https://web.cvent.com/event/2d2a71a7-6835-4761-bfca-ab28e225c732/websitePage:cd456b84-dc3b-4a22-9e70-821b0f898651?RefID=Social

In this case, I manually added the "?RefID=Social" onto the end of the URL.

If you click that link, and then click either the "Register for In Person" or "Register for virtual" buttons, you'll see that the "?RefID=Social" is passed into both those registration paths (see screen capture below). I hope someone can help.

#Flex-Creating/ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Jeff Quon
    Digital Marketing Manager
    10X Genomics

• 2.  RE: Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-19-2021 10:11

Hi Jeff,

Good catch here, I'd like to know how this is done as well. The "Register Now Button" on the website editor does carry url parameters but there is no option of which path it can go to. I've run into this same use case before as well.

Thanks,
    Evan

Evan Ring
    Marketing Manager
    Dow Jones & Co., Inc

• 3.  RE: Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-19-2021 12:07
    Hi Evan,

Did a bit of investigation and it looks like it was accomplished using a custom code widget. Doesn't appear to be a way to accomplish right out of the box.

Jeff

Jeff Quon
    10X Genomics

• 4.  RE: Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-19-2021 12:25

Hi Jeff,

I see now, I took a look at the source code as well. This would be good functionality as many of us head into Hybrid events. The javascript to pass query parameters on the URLs is pretty complicated for folks who aren't developers.

Thanks,
    Evan

Evan Ring
    Marketing Manager
    Dow Jones & Co., Inc

• 5.  RE: Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-20-2021 16:37
    Hi Evan and Jeff,

Great discussion and great feedback! I reached out to a manager on our Event Technology team who is leading our Cvent CONNECT registration site, and he confirmed this was done through the Custom Code widget with JavaScript and CSS parameters, as you both determined.

If you haven't already, submit this as an Idea here in the Community so others can upvote if they agree! You make a great point that with hybrid events on the rise this may become more of a common request.

Best,

Danni

Danni Czark
    Senior Associate, Online Community Marketing
    Cvent

• 6.  RE: Passing Reference ID through weblinks to different registration paths

Posted 07-20-2021 17:52
    Thanks Danielle. This has been added: https://community.cvent.com/ideas/viewidea?IdeationKey=c8da270a-878a-4881-9877-a0871a963cca.

I was able to accomplish via code widget, so all good there.

Jeff Quon
    10X Genomics