Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 07-30-2019 16:43

Hi community!

I have a conundrum I was hoping to get your help with. We often have elderly couples who want to come/donate to our events and who share an email or do not have an email. When registering them in Cvent, I know I can turn off the requirement that guests have a unique email or not even ask it. My question is actually what happens when it gets into our CRM system. Often the accounts/contacts get merged or data gets overwritten. 

Or regional offices have solved this issue by either using their own email address or making them up. But this is terrible data governance. It also hurts our server reputation when sending out emails. 

There has to be a solution other than fake emails? Most systems use email as the unique identifier, so I don't see any other way. 

Thanks!

#Classic-Creating/ManagingEvents
    #ManagingEvents
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Jillianna Richcrick
    Technical Lead and Developer, Web Systems
    Anti-Defamation League

• 2.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 07-30-2019 19:48
    Use firstname.lastname@example.com and opt them out of email.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 3.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 08-06-2019 10:21
    we ended up implementing a bandaid solution that included something like this for now. There was no ideal solution (other than just get their emails), but this was easiest for us.

THanks!

Jillianna Richcrick
    Anti-Defamation League

• 4.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 07-31-2019 07:58

Hi Jillianna, 

We run into a very similar problem and while it has improved overtime with consistent messaging and repeat "customers", it's still a pain point.  We have recommended that those without their own unique email address create a generic email from a free provider (Gmail, etc.) and setup automatic forwarding of that account to the main account.  This allows them to register for the event, but they don't need to really maintain a second email account.   It's not a perfect solution, but it has helped. 

Heather Darrow
    Conference Coordinator
    Cornell University - Department Of Animal Science

• 5.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 08-06-2019 10:22
    I think this idea, but our constituents didn't even want to be bothered...too technical.  :(

THanks!

Jillianna Richcrick
    Anti-Defamation League

• 6.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 08-05-2019 18:30
    I'm not sure if this will work for your particular needs, but I feel like it's still a tip worth sharing, since it's also extremely useful for testing. 

If your registrant has a Gmail address, they can add a plus sign and then any text prior to the @gmail.com portion to "create" an on the fly email address that will still send to their correct account. For example, if my email address was cventfiend@gmail.com, I could enter cventfiend+jillianarocks@gmail.com and Gmail will ignore the plus sign and everything after it and send the email to my regular account. As far as Cvent / CRMs are concerned, this is a unique email address.

You can do something similar with Yahoo, but there is a bit more initial set up involved: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3523.html

Katie McIntyre
    Manager, Technical Production
    Opus Solutions, LLC d/b/a Opus Agency

• 7.  RE: What to do when registering people without email or the same email?

Posted 08-06-2019 10:20
    That is good to know! I will definitely pass this information around.

THank you!

Jillianna Richcrick
    Anti-Defamation League