Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Including the DMO on RFPs

Posted 03-02-2022 09:56
    This may be opening a big can of worms, but I'm forging ahead anyway.  When sourcing venues and submitting a RFP through the Cvent Supplier Network, what are your main reasons for not including the DMO/CVB?
    #BiddingonGroupBusiness
    #Miscellaneous
    #SourcingaVenue

------------------------------
    Amy Zientek
    Director Of Sales
    Visit Lubbock The Convention and Visitors Bureau

• 2.  RE: Including the DMO on RFPs

Posted 03-10-2022 11:07
    Hi Amy, 
    I'm not sure what prompted this question, but It's very rare that I wouldn't copy a CVB. In a best-case scenario, they are really helpful and knowledgeable and provide a ton of guidance. Some can even provide volunteers for your event for free or offer site visit credits! Worst case scenario, they aren't responsive or don't offer much guidance. The very few times I've run into an issue is if the CVB took it upon themselves to contact hotels and it caused some overlap with my NSOs.

Gina Allega, CMP
    Senior Program Manager
    BCD M&E

• 3.  RE: Including the DMO on RFPs

Posted 03-23-2022 01:46
    Hi Amy,
    This is an excellent question and shouldn't open a can or worms at all!  I usually copy a DMO/CVB on my clients' RFPs as I find that most are very responsive and helpful with suggestions should I have potentially (my worst nightmare!) overlooked a property in my initial search.  In some cases a DMO/CVB may even have special incentives that could apply, so always a good idea to copy them on RFPs for support, especially on larger programs.
    The one reason I can imagine why a planner would not include them is if they possibly have had a bad experience in the past, i.e. a situation where a DMO/CVB may have forwarded the RFP to additional properties that would not have been a good fit based on parameters in the RFP. Then the planner may have gotten inundated with proposals and/or turn downs that used up valuable time and as Gina indicated in her response it can also be challenge with assigned NSOs then.
    However, there is a box in the RFP where forwarding can be turned off, so that the planner can have a conversation with the CVB/DMO first and turn on the 'forwarding' button as needed, or otherwise add suggested properties to the RFP as another option.
    Hope this helps.

Benedicte Yturralde
    Director, Global Accounts
    HelmsBriscoe - USA & Canada