Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

• 1.  Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-02-2020 11:14

Happy Monday, all! We're back with our next Huddle of the Week discussion. Even in these ever-changing times, one aspect of an event that we always expect to see is sponsorship. Now, the shift to virtual has certainly changed how this is approached and presented during the live virtual event. We have seen several questions on this in the past months here in the Open Forum, and now that we are coming up on nearly 8 months of virtual events, we would love to hear more insight from those who have executed. Here are this week's discussion questions:

• What is the best way to get sponsors on board with the virtual or hybrid experience?
    • What is the most unique opportunity you have offered your sponsors through a virtual event?

As always, share below with your thoughts, ideas, and experiences. If you are trying something new for your next virtual event, share the areas of improvement, as well! We want to hear from all perspectives, so be sure to provide your insight and learn from your peers. #HuddleoftheWeek #VoiceIt

#ManagingVirtualEvents

------------------------------
    Danni Czark
    Senior Associate, Online Community Marketing
    Cvent

• 2.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-03-2020 08:21
    We held our biggest conference of the year in August and it was virtual.  We provided four levels of sponsorship.  The highest level was given the opportunity to play a 2 minute pre-recorded video prior to one session.  They were also recognized on social media.  

All levels were recognized on the summary page of our event registration.  I updated it daily with company logos as new sponsorships came in.  We also sent a digital marketing flyer to conference attendees prior to the conference and all sponsors received a list of attendees after the conference was over.  Those are just a few examples of things we offered to entice sponsors to sign up.

Kim Abbott
    North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation

• 3.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-05-2020 10:28
    Kim,

I like the way your company approached this subject - we are working on our annual meeting and I certainly will mention that to our staff.  Did you give any guidance/instructions on the video.

Love the idea of the summary page.

Any suggestion on a hybrid version?

Andrea

Andrea Timbes
    CRM Administrator & Lead Catcher
    Visit Fort Worth

• 4.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-03-2020 10:14
    I think one of the best ways to continue to get sponsors on board with sponsorship in the virtual environment is to keep the lines of communication open and involved them in the process.  We have surveyed our sponsors a few times over the last 8 months to continue to learn from them what they want ... and what they don't want!

While I don't think it is unique to our events, we have offered a 20-second commercial spot with higher sponsorship level.  These commercials play prior to the event (while attendees are joining) and/or during virtual breaks.  I also include them in them in the session recordings files that are available after the event.

One area that I am interested in learning from others about is relative to increasing engagement with sponsors.  Our sponsors have told us that virtual tradeshows or booth are not desirable, but have also seen low traffic numbers to sponsor profiles in the app.

Heather Darrow
    Conference Coordinator
    Cornell University - Department Of Animal Science

• 5.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-05-2020 06:42
    We didn't have much of a problem with sponsorship.  We lowered our price and then offered virtual space for them. Some are providing videos.

Edward House
    App and Tech Supprt
    Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development

• 6.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-05-2020 08:31
    Edward - did you provide any guidelines or tips for sponsors to use their virtual space to the fullest?  ​​

Heather Darrow
    Conference Coordinator
    Cornell University - Department Of Animal Science

• 7.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-05-2020 09:46
    Not really.  Just reminding them that it is their space and/or video and to make the most of it.  Also, in my opinion, we are far enough along in the virtual event era that most sponsors and vendors know what they are doing.

Thanks
    Ed

Edward House
    Event Technologist
    Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development

• 8.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-06-2020 08:51
    Edited by Lori Wildman 11-06-2020 08:53
    We are currently a sponsor of an event in which they are giving us a 10 minute video spot. While it seems like a great benefit, we have a short timeline to get it done, want it professionally produced, and it is very costly. So keep in mind when providing sponsorship opportunities that they are not a burden on the sponsor to get you the deliverables. A 2 minute video would have been more reasonable. Provide us with a contact list of all the attendees. Allow us to send an email to all attendees, or put ads in your newsletters over the next year. Let us do our own online drawing for a prize (which we recently did at another conference, and we got a ton of leads that way).

Lori Wildman
    Senior Marketing Manager
    DuCharme, McMillen & Associates, Inc.

• 9.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-06-2020 09:32
    Lori:  I'd love to hear how you completed your online drawing.  We have the opportunity for a raffle with our sponsors, but having a difficult time coming up with ways for them to capture names.  Seems like such an easy thing that I am drawing a blank on!

We allow our sponsors to speak directly to our attendees with a question/answer session. Our conference is unique in that there is not a set program. It's a collaborative discussion amongst the attendees.  They bring their issues/questions/proposals and the other attendees provide input.  The sponsors are a part of that discussion as well.

_________
    Jennifer Dooley
    Executive Director
    Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys

Jenn Dooley
    Executive Director
    AFELA

• 10.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-09-2020 10:32
    Hi Lori, 

Great tips/Idea's!

Colleen Beck
    Director of Sales & Marketing
    The Westin Tampa Bay

• 11.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-06-2020 09:48
    We've seen virtual sponsor pages and sponsors holding their own related breakout sessions. having an interactive game to get attendees to browse and contact sponsors have worked as well

Coy Rushton
    Graphic Designer
    Primary Residential Mortgage

• 12.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-09-2020 08:59
    You guys are so creative!  I love the idea of a drawing.  That would really engage our audience.  I'll keep that in mind for next time.  I've seen online apps used like picker wheel for drawings.  I've never used one of the apps but there may be something more professional looking available.

Andrea, we didn't provide any guidance on the video other than to say it has to be within a set time.  For the most part, our sponsors have provided us with a prerecorded commercial.

Kim Abbott
    North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation

• 13.  RE: Huddle of the Week #7: Sponsorship in a Virtual Environment

Posted 11-09-2020 14:39
    Edited by Jodi Meier 11-10-2020 09:38

Thank you for all the great suggestions and ideas shared! Sponsorships and virtual exhibitors' space continues to be a hot topic and space people are exploring ways enhance.  If you are looking to learn more Cvent is hosting a webinar this Thursday on virtual event sponsorships. If you aren't sure if you can join live, we will also share the on-demand version once its available.

Additionally, below are a couple of previous discussions within the Community around sponsorship that could provide further ideation.  

As always new ideas and insights are always encouraged on any post at any time.

Jodi Meier
    Online Community Manager