Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

• 1.  Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Cvent Staff
    Posted 03-31-2020 17:27
    Greetings Cvent Community,

When you encounter a new scenario, it is natural to seek the advice of your peers. We are starting an association & non-profit Bird of a Feather discussion so you can seek advice and stay connected with other association and non-profit meetings and event professionals.

Discussion prompts are provided below to help get the conversation going but add your own questions for other association and non-profit professionals at any time.

To get started copy the questions below, click reply, paste the questions, and provide your responses.

• Where are you located?
    • What is your role?
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.)
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect)
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted?
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature?
    Join other Association & Non-Profit for our first ever Event Community Happy Hour, Wed. April 1st, 5-6pm local time. Register now to participate.

PARTICIPATION NOTE: If you reply to the discussion you are automatically "following" the discussion. Following a discussion means you will get an email anytime someone replies. The star will be red if you are following the discussion, to unfollow click the star and it should turn blue.

#AssociationMeetingsandEvents
    #Non-ProfitMeetingsandEvents​​
    #Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Karl Dusen
    Cvent

• 2.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-01-2020 14:31
    • Where are you located? Miami, FL
    • What is your role? Conference Coordinator
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) Also put on conferences for nonprofit associations.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect)n Large annual event (1,000 people) where we offer CECs.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted?  We haven't had famous keynote speakers, but I really enjoyed Chef Jose Andres last year at Connect.
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? I am really enjoying Flex!

Tanya Nieto-Winzey
    Conference Coordinator
    Pilates Method Alliance

• 3.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-07-2020 14:44
    • Where are you located?  Princeton, NJ
    • What is your role? Director, Meetings & Events
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.)   Putting on event and conferences 
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect)  Annual conference/expo for 2500, smaller regional education seminars
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted?  Chris Riddell - a futurist we used last year was amazing!
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature?  New user, but I love Flex options and our implementation team
    I am curious as to who has been able to postpone their event, and what you are doing to keep attendees/exhibitors/sponsors engaged to limit cancellation and refund requests.   And, what everyone thinks the impact will be on 2021 events.

Tina Mercardo
    Director, Meetings and Events
    NAFA Fleet management Association

• 4.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-07-2020 14:53
    • Where are you located? State College, PA
    • What is your role? Asst. Director, Alumni Events at the Penn State Alumni Association
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) Planning Higher-Ed, Alumni Events at a large University
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Reunions, Webinars, Tailgates, Awards Dinners, City Series. We have transitioned most of our events to a virtual platform via (Cvent for Registration and Zoom Meetings/Webinars for the actual 'event')
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted?
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? Flex!

Sarah Murphy
    Assistant Director, Alumni Events
    Penn State University Alumni Association

• 5.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-07-2020 15:01
    • Where are you located? Springfield, Illinois (state capital and & Abraham Lincoln's hometown)
    • What is your role? Co-Executive Director & Director of Programs for a non-profit provider of continuing legal education
    • I want to connect with people who are involved in small organizations and managing remote teams and converting live events to digital conferences. 
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? We typically offer two in-person events per month which vary in size. We webcast 99% of our in-person events. We also produce live events for virtual consumption and offer recordings and online on-demand programs as well. 
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? I like being able to track attendance and see trends. 

Megan Moore
    Director of Programs
    Illinois Institute For Continuing Legal Education

• 6.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-07-2020 15:52
    • Where are you located? Miami, FL
    • What is your role? Exhibits & Sponsorship Coordinator
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) Manage exhibitors and sponsors (both corporate and conference level).
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) We have one large annual conference for Pilates Teachers. Our upcoming event was cancelled and some of our sponsor benefits were tied to the event. Curious to see how other companies are handling the deliverables that were tied to a cancelled event.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? Was not present, but my favorite speaker is Michelle Obama. I also enjoyed Bethenny Frankel at Cvent Connect a couple of years ago.
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? I am still learning, but at the moment, enjoying Flex with the help of my colleague. I also enjoy working in passkey.
    ​​

Maly De Jesus
    Exhibits & Sponsorship Coordinator
    Pilates Method Alliance

• 7.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Community MVP
    Posted 04-08-2020 11:56
    • Where are you located? Greenville, SC
    • What is your role? Little of this, little of that, when it comes to events, registrar and event builder.
    • I want to connect with people who can tell me that everything is going to be OK.  (fill in the blank.)
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Car Show and hospitality area at a race track in CA. 800 attendees CANCELLED. Annual ocial gathering this year in Palm Springs in Sept. So far it's on. Expecting less attendees.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? I don't recall. :(
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? Report portals and tags.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 8.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-13-2020 14:00
    • Where are you located? San Diego
    • What is your role? Events & Marketing Manager
    • I want to connect with people who are deciding whether to move their 2020 events to virtual platforms.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Networking mixers, signature events (dinners/luncheons), board meetings, golf tournament, delegation trips, etc.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? Lance Allred
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? mobile apps

Events Admin
    San Diego Regional Chamber Of Commerce

• 9.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-13-2020 14:47
    • Where are you located? Indianapolis IN
    • What is your role? event management - I create and manage the events in cvent
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) have members attending and connecting at large events each year.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Biennial conventions, yearly leadership conferences. We have canceled the leadership conference and still undecided about convention.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? I enjoyed Chef Andres at Cvent Connect 2019!
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? CrowdCompass - fun to put together and see member engagement.

Lisa Thibault
    Website Content Manager
    Kappa Alpha Theta Fraternity Inc

• 10.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

User Group Member
    Posted 04-20-2020 10:22
    • Where are you located? Columbus, Ohio
    • What is your role? Communications & Technology Director
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) can share ideas on customizing Cvent for a membership organization.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Our main event is our annual conference, which thankfully was at the end of February, before the COVID-19 pandemic – so we were able to host it as planned. We have one in-person event (advocacy day) that had to be canceled; the rest of our meetings have gone virtual.
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? Not sure if this question is asking for a speaker that my organization has hosted or I've seen at Cvent CONNECT.... So I'll do both. A few years ago, we had Ernie Ward as the keynote speaker at our conference. He's kind of a rockstar of the veterinary world. As for CONNECT, I enjoyed Jay Leno a few years ago, and Abby Wambach last year.
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? After suffering through custom CSS edits in Classic, I am enjoying the new website/email builder in Flex. 

Krysten Bennett
    Communications Director
    Ohio Veterinary Medical Association

• 11.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 04-21-2020 18:33
    • Where are you located? Austin, TX
    • What is your role? Program Director
    • I want to connect with people who also work in the association world.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? We have one large annual conference for 3000+ attendees which we are still hosting but looking for ways to incorporate more virtual options. We also have multiple out of state meetings which have all been cancelled/made virtual over the next few months.... all that planning, gone :(
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? Maurice Cox presented at our conference in 2018 and he was great!
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? Can I say the app, even though it's technically Crowd Compass? 

Sharna Pascolo
    Program Director
    Texas Society of Architects

• 12.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Community MVP
    Posted 04-23-2020 13:15
    • Where are you located? Burlingame, CA
    • What is your role? Event Planner
    • I want to connect with people who put on conferences for unions.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? Our team puts on 25+ events/year, some continuing education, some union leadership. We are pivoting to virtual for all our summer events. 
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? We were going to have Little Steven talk in March! We hope to reschedule.
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? Email automation. 

Beline Falzon
    Event Planner
    California Teachers Association

• 13.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

User Group Member
    Posted 04-24-2020 10:55
    • Where are you located? DC
    • What is your role? Events Director
    • I want to connect with people who ___________ (fill in the blank.) Are also looking at how to handle COVID-19
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? (large annual event, continuing education, fundraising, ect) Membership Events
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? N/A
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? OnArrival for Registration

Justina Hulen
    Director of Events
    Republican State Leadership Committee

• 14.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Posted 05-28-2020 13:54
    • Where are you located?  Irvine, CA (the center of Orange County)
    • What is your role? Director of Sales.  I promote the city as a location for corporate, association and government groups.
    • I want to connect with people who want to bring their conferences and events to Southern California and is looking for and alternate destination.
    • What are the types of meetings/events you typically host and how are you handling your events over the next few months? The city of Irvine offers 21 hotels, a handful of off-site venues, plenty of outdoor space, a top notch airport (SNA) the lowest tax in the county, and close proximity to amusement parks and beaches!  Since the city is a hub for lifesciences/tech/financial companies, midsize and small groups are our target.  
    • What is your favorite speaker the you have heard of hosted? Michael Dominguez. No nonsense, no sugarcoating, to the point and always updated.
    • What is your favorite Cvent feature? Reporting!

AnaLaura Becerra
    Director Of Corporate Sales
    Destination Irvine

• 15.  RE: Birds of a Feather: Association & Non-Profit

Community MVP
    Posted 05-28-2020 15:01
    Hi AnaLaura, 
    We should connect - I'm about to send an RFP for a SoCal meeting! We've worked with the Marriott Irvine in the past, but with the pandemic we are exploring more options.

Béline FALZON
    Event Planner
    California Teachers Association