Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Access for deaf and hard of hearing

Posted 03-18-2024 17:20

Hello,

I am a first time conference planner for an in person conference.  We will have a small handful of deaf attendees.  As a private, non profit, we do not legally need to provide but we are still trying to accomodate.  Other than hiring sign language interpreters, any suggestions for tools and logistics? 

#ManagingEvents

------------------------------
    Shana Henry
    President
    CAAPLEUnited States

• 2.  RE: Access for deaf and hard of hearing

Posted 03-18-2024 20:49

Hi Shana,

If you have attendees that may be hearing impared, letting the hotel know of this may be helpful as there are items like a phone that's connected to the bedside lamp when it rings (did not know of this previously) that the hotel was able to setup for that attendee at no charge.  Mind you this was pre Covid but can't see why this accommodation would not be available now.

For sign language interpreters, I use to book 2 per attendee and provided the materials a few days prior so they were aware of the content.  I was informed to book two for an all day meeting as to accommodate breaks for the interpreter.  And I did put reserved seating closer to the front of the stage for the interpreters and attendee.

Hope this helps,
    Jenn

Jenn Wang
    Global Virtual Event Manager
    Ernst & Young LLP

• 3.  RE: Access for deaf and hard of hearing

Posted 03-19-2024 09:52

Thanks, Jenn.

We are not able to pay for ASL interpreters so we are trying to figure out any technologies or other tools to make the live presentations accessible for the attendees.

Shana Henry
    President
    CAAPLEUnited States

• 4.  RE: Access for deaf and hard of hearing

Posted 03-20-2024 11:37

Alternatively, I've used wordly (#1 AI Translation Platform | Meetings & Events | Wordly.ai) for our AI generated CC for my digital events but not sure what their capabilities or integration needs for in person events though.

Jenn Wang
    Global Virtual Event Manager
    Ernst & Young LLP