Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Complete data tag list

Posted 11-02-2023 13:04
    Edited by Kameron Kidd 01-18-2024 14:05

Does a complete list of available data tags and their descriptions exist? I am familiar with the page below, but it states that it outlines the most popular tags.

https://support.cvent.com/s/communityarticle/Data-Tag-Cheat-Sheet

#Miscellaneous

------------------------------
    Jamie Walker
    Cvent Internal - Sales DemoUnited States

• 2.  RE: Complete data tag list
    Best Answer

Posted 11-08-2023 14:08

Hi Jamie,

A complete list of every available data tag and their description does not exist, but if you click on the data tag icon within the email designer or site designer or any other areas of the system where data tags can be inserted, it will pull up all data tags that are available and you can hover over the "i" icon next to each one to see the description.

Julia Plymack
    Senior Client Success Manager
    Cvent

• 3.  RE: Complete data tag list

Posted 11 days ago
    Edited by Jackson Avera 5 days ago

"A complete list of every available data tag and their description does not exist"

The knowledge base articles are littered with tedious user workarounds to conditions that should already be PRE-BUILT into the system. Don't boast of the "over 400 data tags available" if you can't list them ALL.

For example from Inserting Logic Tags (cvent.com):

Saying the same thing to everyone? That's just illogical! Bring sense to your emails with logic tags, sections of content that can be made visible only to those who need to see them. ...It wouldn't be a logic tag without some logic. In the first section, determine if the registrant must meet all or any criteria. Then define the field, operator, and value. No "contains","exact match,", "starts with," "not like," etc. options for operators? Do you recognize the lack of options here are normally afforded in situations like this? You can filter by custom contact fields, how they registered, and how they're planning on reimbursing you.

Meanwhile, in the actual email designer...

-In practice, we're not given the option to even filter the logic by the most important and/or widely used fields, like Registration Types, Admission Items, etc. But here's the thing... You can shoehorn other fields into the templates produced by the wizard, and with a little trial and error, luck, and intuition with coding practices, you can inject your own tags into the template given by the wizard. See my example below:

Why does the option not present itself in the wizard to use admission item as the conditional when the code below WORKS?

{%IF: EVALUATE({[C-MY ADMISSION ITEM]}) EQUAL_TO "Your admission item name here" %} insert text content here {%ENDIF%} 

The functionality is there, its just not provided within the given wizards. When someone like me discovers this workaround, they come looking for the COMPLETE list of data tags, only to find the one article where you wrote, "the list doesn't exist." Someone wrote this code. The list is out there. Cvent users deserve a complete list of data tags, their use-cases, and a guide instructing users on the sytax defined for these tags.

Jackson Avera
    Registration Account Executive
    MCI USA Holding Co, United States

• 4.  RE: Complete data tag list

Posted 7 days ago

It looks like you would like different text to appear in an email body based on the registrant's Admission Item.

You need to create multiple emails, one for each Admission Item, audience: accepted registrants, send 'when someone registers' or 'manually - either works, and in Email Designer, add the text.
     On the email's info page, where you see Details, Advanced Settings, Preview tabs  (not in email designer), click Advanced Settings.
    Scroll down to Advanced Filters, and Select Field: Admission Item.

I hope that helps.

Kim Scannell [Designation]
    Librarian
    The Center: Resources for Teaching and Learning
    United States

• 5.  RE: Complete data tag list

Posted 7 days ago
    Edited by Jackson Avera 7 days ago

"It looks like you would like different text to appear in an email body based on the registrant's Admission Item."

It looks like you didn't get the point of my reply.

"You need to create multiple emails, one for each Admission Item, audience: accepted registrants, send 'when someone registers' or 'manually - either works, and in Email Designer, add the text." 

Sure, that works... until you now have 5 versions of the same email, assigned to different admission types, then the client requests changes to the verbiage on said emails, then its your task to manually iterate through each redundant version of the same email, replacing the old verbiage with the new verbiage manually, each and every time they want a change. See how this solution quickly becomes more trouble than its worth, and it does not scale if the event is large? This solution creates a rats nest of emails to individually manage. Logic tags and more broadly, conditional logic  was intended to solve the issue with performing redundant iterations of the same information. It doesnt make sense to provide us with this functionality in some areas, and withhold it in others. 

In fact, it seems my logic tag code provided in my initial reply would save you a lot of time, if it is indeed the case that you're creating repeat emails for separate audiences in your events. 

The email example was just an example Kim, my point was that instead of Cvent providing us with the actual syntax structure for how and when their data tags work, we're given a "this list doesn't exist" answer. That cannot be true, or how would the developers know the extent of their own creation? Why is developer documentation gate kept through a developer specific license? This makes it hard to communicate our wants with our development team, because we arent given info on what exists natively in cvent beyond the rudamentary "knowledge base" articles out there for us. 

Jackson Avera
    Registration Account Executive
    MCI USA Holding CoUnited States