Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-01-2017 15:23
    Hi, I see this forum hasn't been active in over a year, but I'm finding zero resolution to this issue so maybe someone will see this:Has anyone had trouble pairing beacons with the CrowdPlanner app? I purchased beacons from Estimote, followed all the instructions provided by CrowdCompass: I set up the alert in the Event Center, then accessed the alert in the CrowdPlanner app. When i hold the beacon close to my phone, no beacons show up to connect the alert to the beacon. I've tried this on two iPhones and an iPad. I contacted Estimote and they had me test to see if the Estimote app would recognize the beacons and it does.... so it looks like it might be an app issue? CrowdCompass support says they've never heard of this before. I haven't heard anything further back from Estimote and am not optimistic as they're not in the business of supporting CrowdCompass. Am I missing a step? Am I supposed to do something else to activate the beacons themselves?

• 2.  RE: beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-06-2017 16:08
    Edited by Daniel Marotta 07-31-2023 15:27

Hi Dymphna,
    I wanted to follow up with you on one thing.
    Are you using Proximity Beacons? These are the only beacons that will work with the Crowd Compass App, as our tool does not support any others.

If you are using Proximity Beacons and they still are not pairing, we can use the Estimote App to solve the issue. What you will want to do is find the major and minor IDs of the beacon and put them directly in event center, you can do this by clicking Advanced Options.

Our CrowdCompass team will be able to walk you through the steps but I have also attached a Google Doc (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1js17sD_xEByaTSLJNTIVMA99F3Ay3e-F) with step by step screen shots of the actions you need to take.

Lastly, try to keep other beacons away while pairing as they can interfere with the setup.

Hope this helps,
    Audrey Kordek

• 3.  RE: beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-06-2017 22:07
    Hi, Audrey. Thanks for your response. I am using proximity beacons. In the Estimote app, however, I'm unable to see major or minor IDs for the beacon. Please see the screenshots below of what I'm seeing. The app detects that becaons are in range (screenshot 1). But when I go to see detail (see screenshots 2 and 3), all the info I have is an "identifier" When I tap on the 'identifier' (sceenshot 3), nothing happens. In addition, in screenshot 2, you'll see that there's a red icon between the phone and the beacon. I've been in touch with Estimote about this and they said it means the phone can't connect to the beacon. I'm confused. If the phone can't connect to the beacon, how are the beacons being detected in screenshot 1?? I'm sure this must be the crux of the problem but I don't know what to do next. Is this an Estimote problem? Have you come across this before? 

• 4.  RE: beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-07-2017 12:43
    Hi Dymphna,

Interesting... So I have tried to replicate this issue on both an Apple and Android device to see if there were any differences, after running into the same issue as you, I took a look into the Estimote Community. It looks like they may have made some updates to their app, making it more secure.
    It looks like you will have to take some different steps
    1. Log in to the account (the login email should be associated with the ones purchased for the beacons I believe)
    2. See if you can obtain the IDs now – if not follow the next steps
    3. Choose the “list view” tab
    4. Go to “packets” and pick the beacon
    5. Tap on UUID /Major/Minor
    6. Grab the code OR make your own if there is nothing there.
    7. Then input that into the CrowdCompass Event Center.
    A few more things, if someone else has already claimed a specific UUID for their beacons, our collision detection system will prevent anyone else from using the same one.

Similar to this, you wouldn’t happen to be using Eddystone formats? Apparently, a beacon no longer broadcasts a UUID, Major, and Minor value when changing from iBeacon format to Eddystone. If you are unware which you are using, this is something Estimote will have to help you with. If you still cannot find the IDs or change them then I recommend asking Estimote how to set up IDs through the Estimote Cloud, or Estimote SDK since the app appears to not be working properly based on the steps. 

So all in all let’s try logging in and following the steps above.

Get back to me when you can and we will go from there!

Best,
    Audrey Kordek

• 5.  RE: beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-07-2017 18:38
    Thanks, Audrey. I was able to find the major and minor IDs for the beacon using the steps you outlined below. Coincidentally, I noticed there was an update to the Estimote app, so I installed the update before following your steps. I entered the IDs into the event center. In the CrowdPlanner app, I was able to see the beacon connected to the alert. However… in the event app itself, the alert never materialized. I’ve put a screenshot below of what I’m seeing in the CrowdPlanner app followed by screenshots from Estimote. I don’t know about Eddystone. It’s on the box that the beacons came in and is listed in the Estimote app (see screenshot) but I was able to tap iBeacon to see the IDs so… I don’t think it’s Eddystone format? [cid:image003.png@01D357EF.344F0330] [cid:image001.png@01D357EE.BB8847E0] [cid:image002.png@01D357EE.BB8847E0]

• 6.  RE: beacons not pairing with app

Posted 11-08-2017 09:39
    I’m so glad you could find and add the IDs!

Unfortunately, I can’t access your screen shots, is there any way you could reattach them please?

Since you found the IDs, and clarified your using iBeacon, we can toss everything regarding Eddystone out the window. If the alert is not materializing, there are a few best practices we need to ensure we take first before trouble shooting further into this.
    1. Make sure you have enabled Location Services
    2. Make sure you have enabled Bluetooth
    3. Make sure other beacons are not interfering or connected
    4. Alerts and notifications only get pushed with the current time frame so if your event date is set for two months from now and you want to test the beacon today, change the event date to today, make the alert and if you need to set a time frame, make it a wide window. Then after testing you can change it back. 

If you haven’t already, please try the above and let me know your findings. I have spoken with your CrowdCompass Project Coordinator and we will follow up with you via email very shortly.

Thanks
    Audrey Kordek