Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-15-2020 16:10
    Hi all!

I'm creating a registration website during which attendees can choose an individual incentive trip from multiple date ranges for four resorts.  These people have received a set amount of money from their employer, which they will use to pay for this trip.  Each location and date has a different cost attached, and we need to collect 50% up front.  We'd like to not charge the cards immediately though, rather do it through our merchant services provider after the person has registered.  What's the best way to collect the credit card information if I don't set up a payment widget?  Some of the winners will potentially change their minds after they've hit send, so we want to confirm before we charge on the back end.  Would you suggest just using text fields?  That's what I'm planning to do unless someone has a really great idea.

Many thanks in advance!
    #EventApp-Building/managing

------------------------------
    Sharon Anderson
    Prestige Global Meetings Source

• 2.  RE: Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-15-2020 16:19
    Hi Sharon,
    Please do not use a text field for cc numbers; it is not secure. You used to be able to collect the credit card in Classic but it wasn't connected to the merchant account. I used it many times to collect cc numbers for rooming lists but nothing was processed. I thought they were working to allow this for FLEX as well but I'm not sure. I hope someone else knows this answer. I just wanted to recommend against using the text field. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance. Good luck!

Kit Stanford
    Sr. Meeting Planner
    World Travel

• 3.  RE: Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-15-2020 16:37
    Thanks Kit! 
    The security is my concern too. I really hope there is a work-around, as I know my client wants to make this as easy as possible for the winners, so I don't think she will want them to have to call us just to provide the card number.

I have another day to research, so I'm hoping someone has the answer or a workaround.  Appreciate your help!

Sharon Anderson

• 4.  RE: Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-18-2020 16:21

The only thing I can think of is charge a small fee so you have the credit card on file.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America

• 5.  RE: Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-21-2020 14:43

This is a fantastic idea - thanks!

Sharon Anderson

• 6.  RE: Best way to collect credit card info without using the payment widget

Posted 12-21-2020 18:48

Wasn't my idea. I read it before. :) It was a workaround for another issue.

Steven Schlossman
    Jack of all trades. Master of none.
    BMW Car Club of America